Wednesday, April 15

A New Favourite



At the weekend I read this little old book by Paul Gallico called "The Love of Seven Dolls" and I am now rather smitten. The cover illustration by David Knight (used as a pink line drawing for the endpapers) is just about exactly the way I wish I could draw.

As part of my degree, I'll be going to Porto in September to draw for a week. I'm so excited, apparently it's absolutely knackering, but your drawing gets much stronger in that time. If I end up with anything half as stunning as this I'll buy myself a large glass of port to celebrate! 

The book was published 1954 by Michael Joseph Publishers, incase you wondered. I imagine it's been reprinted though. I wonder if this David Knight did lots of book jackets...?

6 comments:

nath said...

how very lovely and charming! what's it about?

Anna Betts said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say! It's about a girl who joins a traveling puppet show, but the man operatign the puppets is a horrible man. The puppets on the other hand (pardon the pun!) love her and they have a great time together. The story revolves around the the friendly puppets, the guy controlling them, his split personality, and the girl. Eventually the two get together and embark on what I can imagine will be quite a stormy relationship!
And it's all set in Paris, which totally adds to the appeal for me :)

nath said...

Sounds weird, though in a good way. Are you only part of the way through? My interest is piqued, I want to know what happens next!

Anna Betts said...

Haha! Yeah I suppose it was a little weird. I have finished it and it ended with them declaring their love for each other. But I can't help but think the mental health issues raised might affect proceedings! It wasn't your typical boy meets girl story anyway, but I guess the ending was all the better for being unexpected!

Bee Designs said...

They are incredible drawings and the book sounds "interesting" too! I'm very jealous you are off drawing for a whole week! Sounds like heaven.

Fine Little Day said...

It's so nice with these one colored lines drawings.