Tuesday, May 18

Political type?









Another great second-hand bookshop in Cambridge shuts this week. Galloway and Porter, one of the cheapest places to get paperback classics and obscure art books also has a large collection of interesting old books and ephemera, and at the weekend I found this fascinating piece of history.

Soldiers of Lead was published in 1948 for use in the Labour Party to advise on how it should be using type in a persuasive way. It's beautiful, and I would have been absolutely convinced if my vote were cast purely on typographic merit!

4 comments:

Victoria Whincup said...

JEALOUS! I miss that shop.

Rossie said...

gorgeous.

red-handed said...

I *love* the friendly feel of these books ... very Ben Shahn.

small caps said...

Great book. And a nice blog, too. I'll visit you more often. Cheers, Sabrina